By Mitch PhillipsDutch international forward Memphis Depay has agreed to join Manchester United when the transfer window opens in June, his club PSV Eindhoven said on Thursday.British media said the deal, subject to the 21-year-old passing a medical, was around 30 million euros.“We are very proud of this upcoming transfer,” PSV technical manager Marcel Brands told the PSV website (www.psv.nl).“Memphis has gone through all the teams of the PSV youth academy and has played an important part in the national title this year.“He’s a wonderful exponent of our training and will make a nice transition to a magnificent club in a beautiful competition.”United also confirmed they had agreed the deal for a player who scored twice in last year’s World Cup finals and helped PSV canter to the Dutch title this season, scoring 21 goals.
Dear Editor,A recent media briefing held by the Chief Constable of the Georgetown City Constabulary in which he expressed his disappointment in the behaviour displayed by personnel from a private security firm towards ranks of the City Constabulary during an operation by the City Council to seize four fiberglass swimming pools in Ixora Avenue in Bel Air Park was indeed quite befuddling.The first thing that confuses me is his conclusion that the conduct of the members of the private security firm would never be tolerated by the Guyana Police Force. How does he know that? I just don’t understand why the City Constabulary always tries to compare itself with the Guyana Police Force when there could hardly be a parallel drawn between the two law enforcement agencies; in local terminology, they would say that it is like comparing chalk to cheese.To begin, the rank involved in the altercation with the private security has a history of misconduct, delinquency and venality to a level that is unimaginable and which would never been tolerated by the Guyana Police Force in any of its ranks. Note that none of the members of the private security firm brandished their weapons, or were as hostile or threatening as this Constabulary rank, behaviour that was uncalled for and incongruous. But then again every vendor that operates in Georgetown can attest to this type of erratic behaviour being a pattern of this senior officer which the City Constabulary and the City Council constantly condone and, in fact, at the moment they are having him act in the most senior positions in the City Constabulary.In reality, quite recently, this officer had to be arrested by the very Guyana Police Force in a drunken state in Sophia.It is sad that the City Constabulary that has been in existence even before the Guyana Police would be like castaway step relatives of the National Police, but if they want to be respected, then they have to respect themselves first by carrying themselves with dignity, pride and professionalism. And this will have to start with their recruitment process by hiring law enforcement officials with the academic, moral and spiritual upbringing that can raise or even surpass the standards of the Guyana Police Force.The City Constabulary needs to improve its ability to tackle crime, public protection, and protecting vulnerable people before thinking about complaining and comparing themselves to any other agency.Regards,Jermain Johnson
By Lakhram BhagiratChallenges are a part of our daily existence and overcoming them is what makes us strong individuals, but quite often we have to have that passion for what is on the other side in order to overcome the challenges. So about six years ago when a producer told Deonarine Balkissoon or as we may know him Nishal B that he should never sing again, he lost all hope and gave up.Nishal’s journey into the music industry is quite unconventional, since it was something he did not want to do: from a very young age, he had his eyes set on becoming a cricketer. However, fate had something else in store for him.Reflecting on his journey, the 30-year-old father said that while growing up in the village of La Bonne Intention (LBI) on the East Coast of Demerara, he was all about having fun and ensuring that school was the priority. His love for the game of cricket developed when he was about 10 years old and from then no one could stop him.At the age of 11, Nishal and his father were in an accident that resulted in them being badly injured and caused him to stop playing cricket for some time. When he was 15 and a student at the Bladen Hall Multilateral School, he decided to take back up the game he so loved. He became a member of the Demerara Cricket Club and began polishing himself for a career in the cricketing field.“I wrote CXC, but never wanted to further studies because of the love I had for this game called cricket. I kept following my dreams of being a cricketer, but as soon as I was getting the opportunities to make it big in cricket, I developed a back injury that kept me out of the game until this day,” he said.After Nishal was forced to give up his dreams of being a cricketer, he had no idea what to do with, himself since there was never a plan B.“I spent days thinking and even cried about this. I slowly got over my injuries and soon after I head over to Trinidad and Tobago where I spent some time and develop the love for Chutney music. I move back to Guyana and got myself settled and started to do construction work. I then got married and started to follow music,” he said.Getting into music for Nishal was a challenge he certainly was not prepared for. It was difficult beyond comprehension, he says, and to this day although he is an accomplished singer, it is still a challenge in the music industry. The challenge is to stay relevant and make music that everyone enjoys.At the age of 24, he made his first attempt at making music after his friends in Trinidad would encouraged him to sing. He initially reached out to a number of local artistes for tips and general advice, but the response was non-existent.“I then decided take matters into my own hands and head into a studio to record a song. I went and record and did my first song called “Titan”. The studio guy had a hell of time to record me ‘cause I didn’t know one thing I was doing. I thought to myself that I’ll go to a next studio to see if they can help me, but that was the worst decision I made at that moment. The studio guy told me “boy, don’t sing back after today, you too green” as he meant I don’t have the potential to be a singer.“At that moment, I walked out his yard and dropped singing completely. Four years after, I was on Facebook and saw a guy name Michael and notice he is a singer, so I messaged him and we had a chat and he encouraged me to get back into singing and he will put me on to someone who will help me,” Nishal related.From then, the journey has not been easy but it is more comfortable since he has the support of his fellow musicians. He said after the conversation with Michael (only name given), he was linked with local artiste Bunty Singh who owns the BKVJ Studio where he recorded some songs. After that, his voice and style of music started impacting the local scene, resulting in the bookings starting to come in. He eventually became a group act with Vicadi Singh and AW Lyrical where they worked on a number of local and regional shows.Eventually, his music career was given an unexpected boost when Terry Gajraj offered to record a song with him called “Wine on Me”.“After doing that song, Mr Gajraj offered me a chance to go New York to perform and I made full use of the opportunity and went. From that moment, I’ve been travelling back and forth, performing locally and internationally. At the moment, I have one album out and currently working on a next.”Nishal has been making his mark on the local music scene and many may not know this but the males’ reply to Ravi B’s popular song “Start Over” was sung by Nishal. It was recorded in the Shakti Strings Studio in Guyana.Not one to plan ahead, Nishal said that he hopes to make it big in the music industry and is currently a semi-finalist in the 2019 Chutney Monarch Competition with his song called “I’m proud to be a Guyanese.”
… banking sector registered concerns, investigation to be launched The Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) of the Guyana Police Force has denied that it was responsible for the leakage of confidential information to sections of the local media, even as more banking institutions have come forward to express their concerns over the developments.SOCU head, Dr Clive ThomasBank of Guyana Governor, Dr Gobin GangaPublic Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan – under whose purview SOCU falls – in an invited comment on Wednesday, told Guyana Times that since the revelation that private banking information had been made public, he has been in contact with the officials of the department (SOCU) and they have denied culpability.Nonetheless, Ramjattan said an investigation will have to be launched since that information could very well have been leaked from sources other than SOCU.Over the weekend, sections of the media had published the bank account numbers of embattled Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of the Presidency, Omar Shariff.Included in that publication of Shariff’s banking information, are the bank account numbers for 14 accounts, along with a summary of its balances and withdrawals. The published information also pointed to several asset holdings for Shariff, including shares in a number of local organisations, including shares owned in two local banks and Banks DIH Limited.More banking concernsAccording to Ramjattan, some bankers have gotten in touch with him to express their concern over the revelations this past weekend.He told Guyana Times that the banking sector will have to understand that notwithstanding the “derailment” with the leakage of confidential information, they are still obligated under the laws of Guyana to turn over requested information.The Public Security Minister did lament the situation, pointing to the fact that tarnishing or denigrating of SOCU can only in the long-run serve to undermine its investigations.The Public Security Minister is adamant that those in the employ of SOCU are senior ranks that understand the consequences of the leakage of confidential information.He said, those in the employ of SOCU are quite aware that the divulgence of confidential information is in fact a violation of its protocols.Speaking directly to those in the banking sector that have publicly or privately expressed their concerns over the leaked information, Ramjattan said, “We will have to address this.”He was quick to urge restraint on the part of those throwing accusations, reminding them that the denigration of SOCU cannot in anyway serve to assist in the fight against corruption and the types of crimes that the outfit has been mandated to address.The Bank of Guyana (BoG) Governor on Tuesday said the entity is extremely concerned over revelations this past weekend that confidential banking information had been leaked to the press and was widely published.Dr Ganga said as Central Bank Governor, he is “very worried” since the divulged information can only serve to bring the entire banking sector into disrepute.He was at the time reiterating earlier concerns articulated by sections of the banking community with respect to the sharing of its information with State agencies, such as SOCU.This past week, Shariff, in breaking his silence in relation to the allegations that he had somehow laundered, embezzled or stole public monies for personal gain, accused SOCU of leaking confidential information to the media.He lamented that the information which had been passed on to SOCU was obtained through a judicial warrant and had since made its way into the public domain.According to the Central Bank Governor, when it is that sensitive, banking information, which is supposed to be kept confidential, leaked into the public domain and more so, published in widely circulated news outlets, can only serve to hurt the integrity of the local system.The matter of leaked confidential information has generated heated public debate in the past and again came to the fore with the publication of the scores of accounts owned by Shariff.
– Advertisement –
Jamie O’Hara is training with QPR as he looks to get his career back on track following his nightmare spell with Wolves.O’Hara struggled to make any impact under Kenny Jackett and was frozen out of the first-team squad at the Championship club.QPR boss Harry Redknapp knows the 27-year-old well having managed him at both Tottenham and Portsmouth and is allowing him the chance to build up his fitness at the club’s training ground.With midfielders Jermaine Jenas and Alejandro Faurlin being ruled out with long-term injuries, O’Hara could even earn himself a short-team deal if he manages to impress Redknapp during his spell at the west London club. Jamie O’Hara in action for Wolves 1
With the charismatic boss enjoying a stellar season with both Newcastle and Crystal Palace, the Drivetime team want to know your thoughts… 1 Alan Pardew
Councilman Owen Newcomber said city officials made a mistake two years ago when they refused to allow Democrats to open an office on Greenleaf. “I don’t feel it’s in the best interest to continue a policy we think is a mistake simply because we didn’t do it right two years ago,” Newcomer said. Councilman Bob Henderson agreed the situation looks unequal on the surface. But he noted that when the issue came up two years ago, it never went before the council. Instead, city staffers informed Mark Twain Democratic Club officials about the policy, and club officials subsequently found an alternate site on Comstock, Henderson recalled. “It’s not fair to continue this idiotic rule,” he said. “It’s a better solution to solve the problem now.” In the GOP’s case, city officials claim they did not know that Republicans had opened a headquarters on Greenleaf until after it opened and only after reading a story about it in this newspaper on July 11. “At that point we contacted \ and made them aware of the code situation,” said Jeff Collier, director of community development. 58th Assembly District Republican Central Committee Chairwoman Sylvia Southerland said her group only plans to stay at its leased spot on Greenleaf until Dec. 1. Newcomer, himself a member of the Mark Twain Democratic Club, agreed with Henderson, saying it was best for the council to face up to the issue now rather than wait until it rolls around again during the 2008 presidential elections. “It’s better to correct the problem now than two years from now,” he said. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – Politics has found a new home: Uptown Whittier. After considering a request from Republican Party officials for a waiver of a city code prohibiting offices along stretches of Greenleaf Avenue and Philadelphia Street in Uptown, City Council members opted to amend the old rule. In 2001, the City Council approved the policy to restrict those parts of Uptown for restaurant and retail uses only. The new policy provides an exemption to the no-offices rule, but “just for political campaign headquarters,” according to the resolution council members approved Tuesday night. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2That means Republican Party officials can keep the headquarters they officially opened July 18 inside the former Ibiza restaurant in the 13000 block of Greenleaf. The GOP’s waiver request had raised issues of fairness among members of the Mark Twain Democratic Club of Whittier, and the council’s exemption drew sharp criticism Tuesday from Lillian Gonzalez, president of the Democratic club. Two years ago her group tried to open a Democratic campaign headquarters in Uptown, but city officials blocked the move, citing the old policy. Instead, club officials were forced to open their office on Comstock Avenue, which is in Uptown but not within the “no-offices” retail and restaurant zones on Greenleaf and Philadelphia. “If this was so against the rules for the Democrats, why is it the Republicans are now here? It doesn’t seem like the rule applies to Republicans,” Gonzalez told council members Tuesday.
The 26-year-old tried to secure a move to Roma in last summer’s window 1 Riyad Mahrez will miss a third successive match for Leicester when they travel to Manchester City.The winger has not been seen by the club since a move to the Etihad collapsed on the final day of the transfer window, missing training and the games against Everton and Swansea.Mahrez has ended his self-imposed exile by returning to training on Friday, saying “presumptions” about his absence were “totally without foundation”.The 26-year-old had not trained with his team-mates since Manchester City launched a bid to sign him at the end of the January transfer window.The sequence of events came after the Foxes blocked what would have been a dream move to the Premier League leaders for Mahrez, and he subsequently missed the games against Everton and Swansea.Leicester announced on Friday that Mahrez was back in action, and he then released a statement of his own to add clarity to the situation.“Over the past 10 days many people claiming to be my friend have spoken about me and things they know nothing about,” he told the Daily Mail.“Off the back of that many people and journalists have made assumptions without properly checking the story, so I would like to clarify that all those so-called assumptions of why I was absent are completely untrue.“Myself nor my advisors have ever made any statements about that so all presumptions made are totally without foundation.”Mahrez went on to say that Leicester knew where he was throughout his absence.“Leicester City were always aware of my whereabouts and had knowledge of my thinking either directly or via my advisors,” he said.“I have been a part of the Leicester City team that has achieved much success including promotion to the Premier League and being champions of the league.“My goals have always been the same and I have always given my full 100 per cent when I play for the club the fans and my team-mates.“Those goals remain the same today and in the future and when I am asked to be a part of the Leicester team, rest assured I will continue to give my all.”Earlier in the day, Leicester had welcomed Mahrez back into the fold.As well as sharing social media videos of him training, a statement said: “Riyad Mahrez has today (Friday) returned to training with the Leicester City squad. Riyad remains a greatly valued member of Claude Puel’s squad and is focused, together with his team-mates, on achieving further success with Leicester City.”Mahrez put in a transfer request in order to try and force a move to City. It was his second attempt at trying to leave the King Power Stadium after also handing in a transfer request at the end of the 2016-17 season, with Leicester then rejecting a bid from Roma.